Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Neighbors and shoveling snow

With T off to school today, I decided to shovel the driveway. The snow isn't that deep and I really don't mind shoveling snow here because so far it's been the light powdery kind that doesn't seem like it's going to break your shovel or your back when you start hefting it around.
S wants to help for about 3 minutes, but then I won't let her stay outside without her gloves on and she doesn't want to wear a glove on the hand that she cut Saturday. Her finger still looks awfully sore, so I can imagine how sore it feels (shudder). S and I reach a compromise. She gets to keep the glove off that hand, but she has to stay in the garage in the van and she can play with her dolls and computer. Frankly, I can't believe she was so agreeable, but it's freeeeeeezing outside and her fingers had to be cold.

With S safe and occupied, I started shoveling. I was dressed warmly (especially for me) and I was still freezing. The wind here is wicked and it was blowing snow everywhere. I was careful to make sure and shovel our half of the driveway exactly without pushing off any of 'our' snow onto the neighbor's driveway. Their van was parked in the driveway and it made me stop and think for a second - would it be worth it to park in the driveway on days like today to protect the majority of the driveway from the snow - which means less shoveling - and instead have to scrape off the car? The jury is still out on that one.

I decided to shovel the edges of our driveway first, and as I was shoveling down the side that divides our driveway from our neighbor's driveway, a car comes rolling slowly up the street. It looks familiar, but I'm not thinking about that too much because I'm freezing and I've still got a decent amount of shoveling to do. Then something catches my eye - the driver is waving. Wow, ok - a friendly person in my neighborhood?!? Let me wave back! So I do and the car turns......into the driveway beside ours. Holy snow shoveling - it's Mr. McNeighbor. I've renamed his wife Cruella De Ill, since she has the same crazy eyes and pointy hair (well, not really on the hair but that's how I see her in my head now). He pulls into the garage, gets out of his car and.......wait for it...wait for it.....

HE SAYS HELLO! In a pleasant tone of voice. AND it looks and sounds sincere. I fight the urge to just stand there with my mouth hanging open or look around for someone else that he might be talking to and I managed to say 'Good morning' back. Did I freeze to death? Am I suffering from hypothermia and having hallucinations? What's going on here? I am surprised and a bit confused. But he gives me a smile and goes inside. Well, well, well. Shaking off the stunned, I go back to shoveling, wondering if the world is going to end and if so, why am I outside freezing and shoveling when I could be inside spending quality time with S and updating my facebook status.

A few minutes later, I'm almost done and I hear the neighbor's garage door open again. Instead of being afraid to look in order to avoid eye contact with Cruella De Ill, I glance over and Mr. McNeighbor comes out and starts scraping off the van parked in the driveway. He only has one of the small handheld ice scrapers, so I offer him my longer one with the handle and brush, which he politely refuses. We exchange a little chit chat. It was really, really nice. What a great way to start my day.

No comments: