Saturday, February 13, 2010

I know why they call them Global Positioning Systems rather than Global Directional Systems

We got lost today. Again. The ironic thing is that we were following the instructions of our (not so) beloved GPS. Why we are surprised is a mystery. When we were in North Carolina and staying with my dad and stepmom, that GPS couldn't direct us out of a bag. It wasn't like we were in the middle of nowhere, either. The GPS just couldn't seem to figure out that we weren't two miles south of where we actually were. Of course, we can't find our current address with our GPS either. Why we thought it could get us from point A to point B with no problems only highlights either our misplaced optimism or sheer stupidity.

This little trip took us through some parts of St. Louis that made me extremely nervous. Granted, that doesn't take a lot these days. Between my dramatic tendencies and living on base and in Germany where the crime rate is really low or at least hushed up so the ignorant masses can continue living in uninformed bliss, I've been a bit spoiled. So to pass all those boarded up, run down, threatening looking buildings had me locking the doors and tucking my purse under my seat. Which I realize is silly to a degree, but fifteen years ago (read: before kids) this wouldn't have given me a moments pause. Live and let live was my motto then, of course that was before I was robbed at gunpoint which may have more to do with my skittishness in such situations than birthing munchkins did. Who knows?

Our intended destination, which we finally found, was a welcome to the family party for a baby some friends of ours are hoping to adopt. We were stationed with the Ewings in South Dakota and stayed with them in DC on our way to Germany four years ago. It's funny how knowing someone for only a short time and then not seeing them for four years can still maintain a friendship in military life. When I was pregnant with T, it was Felicia who arranged a baby shower for me with people she knew that knew R. It says a lot about the kind of people we've met in this life that they would come to a baby shower for someone they don't know just because someone they did know invited them. I'm grateful to know these people and I'm really hoping that life and military orders will have us living closer together one day. I also hope that they get to adopt this adorable little girl they have been raising since she was born.

Once we left the party, we decided to increase our chance of directional success and we programmed the GPS in the van (that hasn't been updated that we know of - the van is an 03) and the portable GPS that R bought in NC in December (that is obviously defective). Both of these GPS's are made by the same company. The streets we were traveling on have been there since way before 03, let me assure you, yet the GPS's came up with completely different directions on how to get home. Oooooooooooooo-kay. But we made it home safe and sound despite our guidance devices. I wonder if they mess up so much so that you'll keep buying the updates and newer versions? Hmmmm........

No comments: