Saturday, February 27, 2010

The good and bad

What to do, what to do.....on this beautiful Saturday, what to do?

I'm happy to report for the first Saturday in months and possibly years, we didn't hear or see an ankle biter until the unheard of late hour of 7:30. Well, it was actually 7:27, but let's not get too technical.

By the time I washed my face, brushed my teeth, and made it downstairs the kids had already demolished a bowl or two of cereal each. R and I had discussed making pancakes -- or rather my making pancakes -- this morning, so I asked him if he still wanted pancakes, and he did, so I started the process. This morning starting the process involved unloading the dishwasher so that I can put the dirty dishes from last night in. Nothing like having to clean the kitchen before you can use it. But we took the kids to the pool last night after dinner, so I'm not one bit sorry we chose family time over me having to clean the kitchen. To our great surprise, both the kids ate again. Go figure.

Once that was done, we were deciding what running around needed to be done and made our list of "Things to Accomplish Today". Mainly we just wanted to get the oil changed in our vehicles. Luckily, we had a coupon for 2 for 1 oil changes, so that's how we got it done. Then off to Best Buy for an external hard drive to use as back up (perish the thought that any of our computers crash and we lose even more photos, documents, and miscellaneous records. Oh the horror! And since it's happened three or four times in the last five years, chances are good that it will happen again. Usually right when we need something. C'est la vie. Coming out of Best Buy, I reached into my pocketbook to find keys and cut my finger wide open. I had no idea what on earth could have been in my pocketbook that would slice my finger like that, but when I got home we narrowed it down to either the metal binding on my address book or the edge of the checkbook cover were it split. So, with such a mixed day going on, here's my list of good and bad for the day.

Good:
Sleeping in until 7:27
Serving pancakes for breakfast, kids eating some too, but not having to wipe syrup off the walls, floor, and table.
Beautiful weather...sunshine included. YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Finding a 2 for 1 oil change coupon
Being able to leave both cars at the same time to get the oil changed
Taking the kids to Applebee's for lunch while the oil was being changed and having them behave like the perfect little angels that their grandparents think they are.
Finding what we need at Best Buy and not walking out with very much that we don't need. Granted, in order to accomplish this I practically had to wear blinders.
Having a band aid when I needed one
Programming my car to double as my garage door opener. (Yay me!)
Getting a quote for replacing the timing belt, water pump, and associated belts and pulleys that was $200 less than just changing the timing belt the first place I looked into it.
Having a good hair day considering that I did nothing to it.
Putting on my pants and noticing a positive difference in the way they fit.
The kids sharing a race car buggy at Best Buy and actually not fighting over who was looking at whom, who was in whom's space, etc.
Finding the Black Eyed Peas cd I've been wanting.

Bad:
Slicing my finger open.
S refusing to let us change her diaper even though she was poopy.
Bending over to pick something on the floor and smacking my head into the wall. Graceful, no? I mean, it's not like I didn't realize the wall was there....
T bumping into S and knocking her down, causing her to skin up her knee and want to be carried everywhere for an hour.
Trying to roll the kids out to the car in the car buggy, only to have the car buggy set off the alarm at Best Buy and then not understanding the first time the Best Buy employee told us that it was the cart that set off the alarm so we did it again. Niiiiiice one.

So looking back, I'd have to say - we had a very, very, very good day. Now all I need is a workout and a nap, not necessarily in that order.

No comments: