Wednesday, February 29, 2012

When I'm tired of talking, I cook.

So the other day, Tucker asked me if I would make meatballs. For someone who LOVES meat, Robert's not a big fan of meatballs. I don't know if it's meatballs in general or mine specifically, but I rarely make them when he's home. I found some super lean (97) ground top round at the commissary this weekend, so I bought it. Normally I make meatballs with ground turkey because once you add sauce and seasonings, you really can't tell the difference. Well, maybe you can, but I can't. So I started with the ingredients - parm, italian style bread crumbs, pepper, italian seasoning, garlic and an egg.

Tossed it all in a bowl and mixed. I don't measure, so I have no idea how much of anything is in there besides one egg and one pound of meat. I just do it until it looks right.

I roll them and put them in a glass dish that I spray with Pam.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes.

Drain any grease, then transfer to a pot, add sauce, and simmer for about 30 minutes. That gives me time to do the dishes and cook the pasta.

Sprinkle with cheese and voila! Dinner is served!


I asked Tucker how it was after he took a few bites. His response? He grunted. I'm going to take that as a compliment. And by my calculations, this huge bowl full is around 400 calories, which isn't too bad. 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: