Sunday, February 12, 2012

Life improvement my way.

This has been one whirlwind of a week! 

I've been lucky enough to talk to Chris a lot in the past week. It's been completely amazing. And I've also texted more in the last week than I have since I started texting combined. At least I'm finally getting better at it. I can respond in under a minute now. Yay me. And to think I said a few years ago that I'd never text. Tsk tsk. I should know better. By the time my kids are both 18, cell phones probably won't even have actual telephonic features. Just social media apps. 

Sigh. 

So last night, things sort of started winding down. We mostly stayed around the house and for whatever bizarre reason I thought it would be a good idea to start de-cluttering. Which in itself is hilarious because for me to de-clutter I have to take stuff from somewhere and put it somewhere else and then pick and choose what I put back. Only when I start to go through it, the most bizarre thing happens and I find myself not able to get rid of all that much. So really all I'm doing is reorganizing. Eventually I get into a snit and just clean it all out. Last night was not one of those nights. 

I tackled the kids' toy closet. We had an old chest of drawers in there that we kept cars and dolls and smaller things in. But that chest of drawers is on its last, sad, press board leg. The metal runners that keep the drawers lined up are even slipping off so the whole drawer just sort of collapses which puts a lot of stress on the cheaply made drawer joints so now they are starting to come apart. And nothing says "tetanus shot" like ripping your finger open on a cruddy old staple. Not that I've ever done that before. 

Right in the middle of that I decide that I need official storage and organization stuff. So I set a plan in motion for today that I'd go to Target and buy the storage cube organizer that I've been coveting for years. 

And that's what the kids and I did today. We bought one for beside the front door and one for the toy closet. And then I managed to actually put them together without nailing anything to the carpet or stripping a screw or smashing my fingers. Although, the little plastic screw covers did manage to all pop off within an hour of being firmly smushed into the screws, but I'm chalking that up to a design flaw. 

No comments: