Sunday, May 15, 2011

The week in review

Last week in the life of the Dahl family....

T busted his lip open in gym class on Tuesday and where was I when the school called? I have no idea because I didn't hear my cell ring. Right after I walked in the door after doing some errands, R calls to tell me that he's taking T to the ER to see if he needs stitches in his lip.

Hello, guilt, my dear, dear friend.

Sigh.

T was fine, he ended up with some bruises and a nice fat lip, but no stitches were needed (thank you, thank you, thank you! I've had stitches above my lip and that was pretty awful) and he didn't seem to do any damage to his teeth or hand.

I tried my hand at making refried beans from scratch this week without bothering to look up any recipes or tips online. Or using any added salt or seasoning. In retrospect, that was probably a mistake. They weren't awful, but I did break down and add some Taco Bell Mild Taco sauce to them. Next time (yes, there will be a next time) I'm going to put them in the crock pot and use a mixer to smash them up. Doing it by hand took forever and the beans were still too chunky. I'd make a rotten pioneer. Especially since pioneer women didn't have air conditioning. Or front loading washing machines with Tide.

I thought I had an appointment Thursday morning. I showed up a little early...a week and 15 minutes early. Sadly, it's the second time I've done this. Hello self? Please meet calendar (and use it wisely).

Took the kids to the neighborhood playground after school on Thursday. We all decided to ride our bikes, and I'm so proud of S because she didn't need help from anyone to push her along at any point. However, she hopped off her bike to pick a flower (and by flower I mean a dandelion) once we got to the playground. I was riding behind her and swerved to miss squashing her like a bug and ended up crashing.  When I asked her whether or not she thought she owed me an apology for stopping in the middle of the sidewalk with me right behind her, she looks at me with complete innocence and says, "No. I didn't crash, Mommy, you did."

Touche, my little resident diva.

Never a dull moment - especially if I'm cooking. Heeeehee!

No comments: