Monday, May 23, 2011

Water warnings

Earlier today, S went to the bathroom and when she went to wash her hands, the water was off.

O-kay. 

We used a bottle of water to wash her hands - not a big deal.

I checked Facebook and the housing website to see if I'd missed anything important - like an announcement that the water was going to be shut off or that the water pipes had mistakenly or accidentally disrupted. Not a word. 

Life continued. 

Then the phone rang. From the number, I figured it was telemarketer, so I didn't answer. I'd already talked to three of them today between 10:45 and 12:15, and that's my official telemarketing limit. I was surprised to get a voice mail notice a few seconds later, so I checked it out. Turns out it was a recorded message for our housing area about a boiling notice. At the end of the message, I was referred to the housing website for further information.  

Here's the notice from the website: 

Boil Order

May 23,2011

Due to the water outage today, a precautionary boil order is in effect, beginning at 1500 Monday, 23 May through 0300 Wednesday, 25 May. Water samples will be analyzed prior to lifting the boil order.

Bottled water should be used for drinking, cooking, washing fresh fruit and vegetables, hand washing and brushing teeth.

Affected tap water should be used for these purposed ONLY after it has been brought to a rolling boil for 5 minutes. Do not boil the water for a longer period of time.

Affected tap water may be used ofr washing dishes IF the dishwasher is used AND the dishes are then immersed for at least one minute in a sink of water to which one tablespoon of household bleach per gallon of water has been added. If dishes are hand washed, boiled or bottled water should be used.

Affected tap water may be used for bathing, showering and household cleaning.

Okay, the water was off and then back on around 12:00. So the water from 12-3 is okay? Hope so, because I drank a HUGE glass of water between the time the water came back on and the time I got the notice.  Color me skeptical. Something not mentioned on the website bulletin but was mentioned on voice mail is that ice should be dumped - two full loads after the ban is lifted.  Jeez. 

I'd love to know what they think might be in there! Seriously!

No comments: