Sunday, May 8, 2011

Farmer's Market!

I was browsing through the paper Saturday morning and I saw a small notice for a local farmer's market. Visions of fresh veggies, yummy home grown fruit....I really wanted to go.

R said he'd pass and T didn't want to go either, but S jumped in the car right away and off we went. I actually found it with no problem (thank you Google Maps!) and it didn't take long at all to get there.

There were probably about eight stalls up, but we got there right after it opened, so I'm not sure if there were more opening later.

S and I did a quick tour of the booths. Baked goods, baked goods, meat, meat, baked goods, lettuce, crafts, and a miscellaneous table.

Not exactly what I was expecting, but I did score some organic, freshly ground whole wheat flour. I've never worked with whole wheat flour before, but yesterday seemed like the perfect time to start.

What did I make, you may wonder? Chocolate peanut butter chip cookies. They turned out okay, the texture is a bit different because the flour wasn't ground as powder fine as processed white flour. They tasted great and the kids love them. Another thing I liked about using whole wheat flour is that I don't feel that urge to hoover down the entire batch.

Tomorrow night I'm making a breaded baked chicken dish. I'm going to try using the ww flour for that too, because I think the texture will compliment the dish. If it turns out well, I'll post pictures. If it doesn't, I'll never mention it again. ::snort::

I should also mention that the aforementioned baked goods we bought were not made with whole wheat flour and were to die for delicious. Carmel pecan rolls - Oh. My. God. Next week I'll be biking solo to that farmers market. I hope that the lady selling the rolls will be there. I also hope that the rolls make it home.  On second thought, maybe I'd better skip the market for a few weeks. Maybe if I go in a few weeks I can distract myself from the baked goods with the original plan of fruit and veggies. But I can't help but wonder - if fruit is nature's candy, what will be as yummy of a combination as caramel, pecan, and cinnamon?!? Probably nothing, right?

No comments: