Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The re-discovery of manners

I grew up in an area where people said please, thank you, excuse me, and you're welcome without prompting and without sarcasm.

I expect my kids to be polite and kind to everyone and to use good manners.  I hope that R and I model the behavior we expect.

This weekend, though, it was like I stepped off the regular planet and right into Mannerville.

I don't think we ran into a single rude person. People held doors for us. I heard 'excuse me' if someone walked in front of me if I was looking at something. No one was ill-tempered or snide or bitchy (including me, btw). We had the most lovely conversations with perfect strangers. One shop keeper even marked shops he thought we'd like on his map and gave it to us.

It's the first time in ages I've felt like hugging people I didn't know well.

We didn't have a single negative experience the entire weekend. Even when traffic was horrid and we weren't sure where we were heading, and that's saying something.

Isn't it amazing how far a few basic manners will take you? The best part for me? I'm recharged enough to start paying it forward and now I know where to go for a refill when I need one.

And hey - thanks for taking the time to read this!

No comments: