Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Four year old fits

Aren't the terrible twos supposed to end? I mean, if for no other reason than simply because by a few months into four years old said child should simply be exhausted from trying to figure out things to have fits about?

That's what I thought too, but this morning, S has thrown fit after fit. And most of them were over nothing. As usual.

R left for work around 6, just like he normally does. Within 10 minutes, S was standing beside the bed.

S: Mom?
Me: Unngh
S: Mom?
Me: S, it's really early. Not time to get up yet. (I'm saying this with a pillow over my head)
S: Moooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!! (tears, etc.) I can't get up!
Me: (pulls her onto the bed)
S: Mom?
Me: Hmmmmmmmmm
S: Are you sleeping?
Me: Umhmmmmm
S: Are you sure?
Me: (rolling over) It's too early to get up. I get 30 more minutes.
S: (Crying again) But I'm soooooooo huuuuuuuuungry. I'm hungry Mommmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
Me: In a minute
S: (sliding off the bed) MOMMMMYYYY! Help me up!!!!!
(pull her back onto the bed and hand over my pillow)
S: Mommy! It's morning time! Get UP!!!
Me: Not until the clock says at least 6:45
S: Waaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

So what does S do when the tantrum doesn't work? She goes and wakes up her brother. I don't realize this until I hear cabinet doors slamming downstairs and realize that he's getting her breakfast. That and then,

S: T!!!!!!!!!!!!NOOOOOOO! NONONONONOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
T: (mumbling)
S: I want to! I WANT TOOOO!!! WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!
T: FINE!
(small pause)
More wailing by at least one of the kids. A few seconds later, T appears at my bedside.

T: Mom?
Me: Yes?
T: I poured too much cereal and made a mess and need some help cleaning it up.
Me: (sighs) Okay. I'll be right down.

I go downstairs where S is happily into a huge bowl of Fruit Loops, chattering non stop.

T and I get the cereal cleaned up, which wasn't nearly as much of a mess as I expected, and our collective day begins. This was all around 7:00. By 8, I had listened to S break down into tears and 'Toddlers and Tiaras' fits of rage over....nothing. Seriously, I have no idea why there was so much drama.  What does a four year old have to be that upset over anyway?

Here's the list of things I know of that S got upset about today:

Me not getting up at 6:10.
Not being able to get onto our bed by herself.
Getting off our bed, and yes, she did it voluntarily.
Being hungry.
The bonus Sleeping Beauty DVD not playing what she wanted to see.
ibid.
ibid.
ibid
ibid.
Not being able to play the game on the Sleeping Beauty DVD the way she wants.
Not being able to find the other Sleeping Beauty DVD.
Wanting lunch at 10 am. (Not likely)
Not getting a snack.
Being hungry.
Running out of chocolate milk.
Not being dealt a hand of cards in UNO.
Being dealt a hand of cards in UNO.
Not having a green card in the hand she was dealt for UNO.
Having to wash her hands.

T looks at me at one point and says (with an eye roll), "Girls!" He's even gotten that disgusted tone down pat.

I'm kinda with him on that today, frankly.

No comments: