Friday, August 26, 2011

What a week!

Monday was S's first day of 4 year old preschool. To be honest, I didn't expect it to be very different at all from 3 year old preschool. It was similar in a lot of ways, but it was different in a lot of ways as well. Parents stay with the kids for the first day, and I couldn't believe how quickly time went by. It probably helped that I hadn't missed open house this year so both S and I were prepared. Ahem.

Tuesday was registration for the base school. Tuesday was also one of those days that we woke up, hit the ground running, and didn't stop all day. By the time we got home we were all hot and tired and glad to be home. Where we stayed. In the air conditioning. Happy to be there.

Wednesday was S's first solo day of preschool. She hasn't been feeling well this week, so I wasn't too surprised that she wanted me to stay at school with her. I was surprised that she cried (loudly and quite hard) when I started to leave. Looking back, I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that T was with me and she hasn't been so fond of sharing my attention lately. At any rate, the fact that she cried made T cry and not want me to leave her there (seriously - how sweet was that?!??!), which of course made me cry. When I walked out of the classroom, there were three or four mothers standing there just kind of keeping an eye on their kids.  Two of them I knew, and they looked really surprised to see my all teary eyed. Then S's wails of protest and misery blew through the door and they all stepped forward to give T and I hugs, which just made me cry that much harder.

It's hard to be a mom some days.

Of course when I picked her up, she was just fine and her teacher said that she calmed down as soon as I was out of eyesight.  Hilariously, several moms from last year's class went out of their way to say that they had seen S off and on during the morning and that she was fine. Word spreads quickly, I guess.

Thursday was lower key and lower speed. The kids and I pretty much hung out and had fun doing...nothing. These are my most favorite kind of days and I know they won't last forever, so they are already uber precious to me.

Today I volunteered in S's classroom. She woke up complaining of stomach pain, which has been a pretty consistent complaint with her lately. I made her go to school anyway, figuring that she would get there and forget all about it. T got to spend the day at the Y in a day camp type setting. Even though I had tried to explain to him what today would be like, he apparently had different ideas in his head. Mainly I think he expected to be in the child care room and be able to play Wii all day. When he realized this was not the case, he was not amused.

But, fortunately S did start to feel better a little while after getting to school and T was having so much fun at the Y when we dropped by after S got out of school that he decided to stay the whole day. Even better than that, now the kids want to go back one day next week so they can hang with Julie, counselor extraordinaire. Gotta say - I'm okay with that. It will give me one last day before the craziness of school and volunteering starts for real.

::Deep breath:: And here we go...

No comments: