Thursday, February 24, 2011

Workout Wednesday - let's talk about Yoga X

So, yeah, TonyX - creator and face of the P90X series - and I settled down to do some yoga last Thursday. And by yoga, I really mean plank, upward dog, plank, downward dog, plank, runners pose, plank, building up to warriors pose 1, 2, 3, and reverse warrior, plank, twisting, more twisting, plank, and then it just gets plain difficult.

And that's just the first part. Part two involves more balance moves, which I found much easier than the eternal plank section, and then the third part concentrated on abs.

Like most people, I'm more flexible on one side that the other. TonyX, the poor dear, mentions a time or seven that he's also more flexible on one side. I really struggled with the 'basics' of this workout on my right side, but I figure that will just improve with time. And I can't wait until I can do the hand clasp move while in a lunge twisted from the side. Let me try to find a picture to illustrate...

He's so twisty!

I have tightness issues with my lower back, and reverse warrior especially seems to bother it - but - honestly? When I did Yoga X for the second time it was actually easier than the first time. I also like the fact that this is a no/low impact workout. Lately I've been awfully hard on my feet and ankles with my workouts so it feels really, really nice to stretch everything out and focus on breathing in the context of deep breathing to relax into the moves and push myself versus deep breathing to avoid passing out or, you know, dying.  I also did the Stretch X video, and it was easier than Yoga X for the most part but still provided many of the same benefits for me personally.

I can guarantee you this, however. If I ever can get my fingers to touch in the above pose? I'm SO having someone take a picture and posting on on this blog - large sized.  

1 comment:

Sailing with bare feet said...

haha !!!! I love p90x. I'm on week 3.. but have been on and off p90x for three months. My husband has lost 20 pounds. It's awesome. I love yoga now !! COme visit my blog !! http://sailingwithbarefeet.blogspot.com/search/label/P90X