Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chit chat

I so did not want to get up today. For whatever reason, I woke up around 3 am and couldn't get back to sleep until around 5. R left slightly before six, which woke up S, who came and camped out with accessories in our bed. When the alarm went off at 6:15, I turned it off but didn't get out of bed.

Instead, I snuggled with S and listened to her chatter on and on and on. She rarely gets a chance to do this - we are always going somewhere or it starts a bickering match or it turns into a whine fest and I just tune out. (Shame on me!) It's unfair because T was so slow to talk and then to be understood that I tend to pay closer attention when he's talking. That, plus he doesn't talk nearly as much as she does. But this morning, I just listened and the funniest thing happened. When S realized I was really listening, she stopped chattering and started talking. 

What's the difference? Good question! Here is S chattering: Mommy! Last night I went to bed and then I woke up and there was light in the room and I knew it was morningtime and I wanted to get up but I thought you were still sleeping and you don't wake up mommy when she's sleeping so I stayed in bed and then I heard Daddy leave for work and I came to your room and you were asleep but Dad wasn't here so I brought a DVD and my puppy and my bardie (barbie) and my blanket and this bracelet. Then the ding ding (alarm) went off and now you are right here and you are awake! Today is a school day and I love school. I love my teacher and my ballet teacher and last night I went to ballet and I was dancing. Daddy didn't get to stay and when we came home, Allyson and Ryner were gone and I had fun yesterday and it was cold outside and T thew ice and it hit Ally in the face and she cried but you didn't give her a band aid because you can't put a band aid on a lip and it wasn't really bleeding and then we had dinner and Ally played with me and I love Ms. Tascha and I want to do ballet forever. Mommy you aren't wearing your glasses. Do you have in your contacts? You have brown eyes and T has brown eyes and Daddy has blue eyes and I thought my eyes were blue but Uncle George said they were green and I don't know if they are blue or green, so I say my eyes are blue when they feel blue and green when they feel green and today they feel blue.


Here is S talking: Mommy, I'm hungry. Can we go downstairs and eat breakfast now? Should we wake up T so he can eat breakfast too? Mommy, are you working at my school today? I love school. I wish I could go to school all day with T and ride the bus.

Oddly enough, there's not much of a time difference in S speaking that amount of chatter or that amount of regular conversation. But the difference in her attitude? Vast.

No comments: