Tuesday, October 19, 2010

She's Only Three...

It's no big secret that S and I have been having a bit of a rocky time of it lately, what with all the fit throwing and crying. I mean, jeez. Where does she GET it?!?!
Ahem.

Today, her preschool class had a field trip to a working farm/pumpkin patch that was different than the one the hub-o-licious and I took the kids to. On this farm, the kids got to feed the animals, play on a super cool playground, pick their own pumpkin (complete with tractor ride to and from), and have a snack of fresh apple cider.

Kinda made me want to be a kid again.

When we got the notice that there was a field trip scheduled for today, I was debating on whether or not to go. On the one hand, it meant missing my workout and this week is crazy busy so there were no guarantees that I could fit it in later. On the other hand, come on! This is my baby girl. How many opportunities like this will we have, so of course I went.

I was worried on the way over, because S is a bit possessive and demanding of her teacher. As in, she wants all her attention all the time. S wanted her to ride with us, sit beside us, hold her hand...you name it. I have to give credit where credit is due...her teacher handles it beautifully - doesn't just give in, but also doesn't hurt S's feelings or make her feel rejected.

Yes, I took notes.

There was a bit of confusion at the farm this morning which made things a bit hectic. S and I were with her group feeding the goat and cows and she was standing back a bit from everyone. I've seen her do this before but I've never been with her when she was doing this. I bent down to ask her if she wanted to go feed the goat and cow and she nodded, but didn't move. Normally I would have pressed on with the questions, 'Do you want me to go with you? Do you want me to go get the food for you? Are you afraid to let them eat out of your hand?' and so on...

For whatever reason, today I just let her set the pace. She watched a few kids do it, and edged a little closer. She watched a few more, then walked up to the man with the food and asked for some. She held it for a bit standing pretty close to the fence, still watching. When she finally ready, she walked up and fed the cow. And when the cow licked the food out of her hand, she giggled. And all of a sudden, I got this flash of the woman she will become. The kind of woman I'd love to know - not afraid of new situations, but cautious until she feels comfortable. Not afraid to speak up, but not obnoxious about it either. Funny, sweet, and heartbreakingly beautiful. I snapped a picture.

No comments: