Saturday, October 9, 2010

The In Laws are coming!

We got the word yesterday that R's Mom and step dad are coming for a visit today.

They live in Tennessee now, about four hours from us.

Things between R's parents and I are...odd. They are always nice when we see them, and we are always nice when we see them, but there is just this...strangeness there. Therefore, the visits are full of too bright smiles and fake laughs and statements that could be taken in a variety of ways.

Hahahaha. Wow, your counters are so clean. (This is said with great surprise)
Hahahaha. Your kids are so....energetic.
Hahahaha. Oh. Your kitchen colors are...black? (We have some black appliances, but everything in our kitchen is a neutral color - beige, tan, sage, white)

It could be that those comments are meant for face value. But I tend to think not because after R talked to his mom last night, he got off the phone and said, "I'm sorry my mom hates you."

Lovely.

So I hope this visit goes well. I hope they get to spend some time with the kids and still have a good time. R is going to go with them tomorrow into the city and do some sightseeing. He said when he suggested that idea to his mom, she got really happy. And I'm sure she misses him, we really don't see them very often, so I get it. My mom and I enjoy being able to spend time with just the two of us, too.


Still. I'm sorry his mom hates me too.

No comments: