Friday, October 22, 2010

Chicken Soup for the....iron stomached?

Normally, I'm a pretty good cook. Normally. I prefer baking, but with the whole eating healthy and trying to lose weight thing? Baking isn't really on the agenda these days.

When the weather starts getting cooler, I start thinking about soups and chili. These are easy to fix, really healthy, and can sometimes make up for the fact that the temperature in our house in the winter hovers around 68.

Last week I tried to make chicken noodle soup from scratch. Of course I didn't use a recipe...it's chicken noodle soup. Chicken, broth, noodles, and veggies. Easy as 1-2-3, right?

Not so much.

I shredded the chicken breasts, cooked it with the veggies and some unsalted chicken stock. When the chicken was done, I added whole wheat noodles and more broth since the soup tasted a little watery.

Totally didn't help. The soup just tastes.....like nothing, really.

R took some for lunch and then we had some for dinner the next night and....blah.

Tried some the next day after adding a little salt and.....blah.

So. Now I have a huge container of chicken soup that is sitting in the fridge, mocking me.

"You can't make me, you can't make me!"

Oh wait...

that was just the kids telling me they wouldn't eat it either.

Guess it's back to turkey chili and vegetable beef soup. Or, you know, I could just look up a recipe.

No comments: