Sunday, February 2, 2014

Well, this is weird...

Welp...I made it 12 days out of the 31 blog prompt challenge days last month. If I played baseball, I'd be golden. But I don't. So I'm trying again. I did, however, manage to complete the January Ab Challenge created by the amazing Doreen Warfield on Facebook AND..AND this month I'm actually running a Facebook ab challenge of my own. Interested in joining? Comment below or email me. We have a lot of fun in these challenges. I make up goofy lyrics to awesome songs. What can I say? I was inspired by the Christmas Jammies video.

Anywho...I'm glad to be back and writing. Okay, I'm glad to be back and attempting to write. Again.

ahem.

Yesterday's prompt was 'Well, this is weird...' Since I decided sleep was more important last night, I went to bed without writing or posting. So, lucky readers, you'll get two posts today.

You're welcome. :)

Yesterday I went to get my hair done. And by done, I mean overhauled. And by overhauled, I mean cut, color, and highlighted. If I were in a hair addicts anonymous group (which I should be) my introduction would go like this:

Hi. I'm Brooke and I'm a hair addict. To me, being a hair addict means I spend an obscene amount of money on my hair and on hair product. I'm a huge fan of Pureology, for example. I also have all sorts of shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner, leave-in conditioner, hair masque (which is worth every doggone cent), mousse, volumizer, color protectant, heat styling serum, hair spray, root lifter, shine spray. I have hair dryers (yes, plural), a flat iron, a curling iron or three, an electric hot air brush, and multiple combs and brushes. I am out of control.

But Brooke, lots of people have lots of hair product. Why is that weird?

It's weird because I rarely use it. I love the idea of product and what it's supposed to do. But I hate the feel of product in my hair. I don't like having to wash my hair every day. I really, really don't like spending more than 10 minutes drying and styling my hair to have it look great when I leave the bathroom but look like all I did was roll out of bed and not shower two hours later. That's just depressing. Maybe I used all my hair styling time in the 80's. Cause in the 80's, my hair regularly looked like this:

I know, right?!?!!?

Plus, these days, there's no real reason to make the effort. No I'm not depressed. No I'm not too lazy. And yes, to a degree I care about my appearance. Part of the problem is that my hair is thinning by the day and it's very fine and limp. Another problem is that I have a bit of an attitude about the whole outward appearance thing. I know I shouldn't, but I do. I'm a genuinely good person. Why do I need to product up and slap on make-up to earn the chance for someone else to see that. Petulant, right? I know. I'm not proud of it. But there you go.

But I love, love, love the idea of good hair. I love it when the weather, humidity level and my hair cooperate and I feel like my outside matches my inside. Those are good days. And to get those few good days, I'm willing to try any product once. What I'm not willing to do is throw it away if I don't like it because one morning I might magically wake up and BOOM! I'll have good hair again. Every. Day.

It could happen. It could!

So with all that considered, I have a particular fondness for the amazing hair stylists I've met in my life. There are three of them. Each one has been able with the wrap of the cape, a layer or two or three of color, and some really sharp scissors, to make me feel really beautiful.

You are wondering who they are, right? And you're wondering if one lives near you so you can maybe try them out, right?!? I think that's a great idea. Here you go:

Wayne Tuggle at 40 Vol. Hair in Winston-Salem. The man is magic. MAGIC. Plus, he's just a really cool guy. He's been doing my hair on and off for over 10 years. If you've ever used Big Sexy Hair Product (of course I have and yes, it's great), he and the guy behind Big Sexy Hair have created a new line of product called Rock Your Hair. So far, everything I've tried in that line has been pretty great too.

Amy Unthank. I went to several people in the Scott Air Force Base before finding Amy. And while some of them were good, no one even came close to how great she is. She's also fabulous with cuts and color. And she's a genius with eyebrows. Amy works at Nirvana Salon in O'Fallon, Illinois. She is Talented (with an intentional capital T). Plus, she's one of the nicest people on the planet. And if you feel like pampering yourself even further, check out Monika Ruzicka. Monika is a gal of many talents - make-up, facials, waxing, etc.

Jennifer Temple. Anyone who's ever gone to Jen knows how amazing she is with color. And I mean amazing. She's a fellow Air Force Wife and right now she's stationed in England. She used to work out of her house, but she had her second beautiful child within the last year and she may not be accepting clients. Which is understandable, but sad since she's brilliant. And sweet. I really miss her. ::sad face::

So yesterday, as I left Wayne's salon (and I have to give a shout out to Courtney for stylin' my new improved 'do) I fell back in love with my hair. How in love, you are wondering? So in love that I actually did my hair today and we weren't planning on going anywhere or seeing anyone. And when I came out of the bathroom, Tucker said, "WOW, Mom! You look great!" and Sara said, "Pretty, Mommy! Why don't you do that every day?" and Robert widened his eyes in surprise, which with anyone else would be the same as saying 'Day-um, girl! You look gooooooood!' AND - it only took 15 minutes.

I'm even planning to do my hair tomorrow. I may even use some product in it.

Well, this is weird!


No comments: