Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Motivation Monday

You know what? There's an athlete inside me somewhere.

When I'm panting for air and my muscles are trembling with strain and exhaustion, I can feel her, deep down inside me telling me I can DO this. One more rep, 30 more seconds, I have it in me.

And, in those moments I feel like I can conquer the world.

She's the reason I push forward on the days when working out seems like the worst idea in the world.

I can see glimpses of her now, through this stubborn layer of fat that has trapped her and tried to smother her one piece of cheesecake at a time. She's starting to break through after three years of effort. You'd think she'd be too tired by now, but nope. Not this girl.

I like this girl. She's strong and smart and confident. Her body responds when she wants it to do something - like jog up the stairs on the way to Zumba or finish that last vinyasa in Yoga X. Sore muscles? No problem. She'll just work through them.

And now that she's peeking through and speaking up more often, I'm all the more eager to meet her. How I wish I could just unzip the fat suit over her so she could step out right now. But then, that would be taking the easy way out and this girl? She doesn't take shortcuts or cheat.

So I'll keep doing what I'm doing and she'll keep on doing what she's doing and before we both know it, the time will be right.

I'm so looking forward to that day.

Oh, and I'm down two more pounds for a total of 12 lbs in three weeks.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Good for you! That's an amazing attitude to have and one that not many people can handle! Great job!

As I began my hour on the elliptical last night at the gym, I felt I'd rather stab myself in the eye than finish, but I pulled on my inner ass-kicker, too, and finished. If anything, I can tell our kids it's important to finish what you start!

Brooke said...

Sweet juniper leaves - the elliptical and I have had a falling out lately. I walk by it at the gym and snarl. I don't know why, either. Poor cardio machine, what has it done to deserve such wretched behavior from me?

Good for you for sticking with it last night! More than once the elliptical has saved me by allowing me to work out my frustrations on it. Stupid deployments. Grrrrrr.