Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes


For reasons I'll never understand, T calls ketchup 'boo boo'. He has since he first started talking. He calls 7-up "snowman coke" ever since they put a snowman on the bottle this winter. Our dogs, Dot and Flash, were referred to as 'Dot' and 'Not Dot' for a long time. Any kind of baked good that requires an egg to make is 'cake'. Pizza is 'hot-za'. These are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head but I'm sure I'll remember more.


It's so funny what kids pick up. T loves to help me cook (well, okay, stir). I started singing "It's too hot, too hot baby" when we would pull stuff out of the oven and now whenever I say to be careful because something is hot, T will say "it's too hot baybayyyyyy" and I have to laugh. The kids and I love music. Our latest thing is ABBA. Last year, I taught T to do the disco "oooh oooh" with the traditional John Travolta disco pointer move. We hadn't done that in the longest time, but when we were singing in the kitchen tonight, he did it out of the blue. I was drinking water and almost snorted it out of my nose. And Dancing Queen is 'ance keen' just in case you hear him talking about it. T may not be big on talking, but there are very few sounds he can't imitate. And our diva-licous Ms. S is starting to talk. So far we've gotten "yeah" "mama" and "dad" out of her. Tonight she was trying to say 'card'. The more she tries to talk, the better T talks. I'm not complaining!


This weekend he pulled his Baby Einstein cards out of his closet and was flipping through them naming the stuff on the cards. I stood in amazement and just listened at the door. That little stinker can talk much better than he lets on. Okay then, pal. Game on! If he can say submarine, then there's no reason he can't say half the stuff he doesn't say other than he doesn't want to. Or maybe I'm just hoping. Tonight he got mad at me and put the first string of sentences together that I've ever heard. Granted it was, "T no want to. Mom, you go 'way! T do it. T do it self. Go 'way, Mom. GO!"

This weekend we got some stuff we ordered from Old Navy. We ordered some rompers for S since there is so little selection at the BX, we love the stuff from Old Navy, it was on sale, and Old Navy includes APO boxes in their $5 shipping. T was a little upset that there was nothing in the box for him and insisted on putting on one of the rompers. The picture speaks for itself.















Sunday, we were leaving the commissary and he started reading the numbers and letters off of license plates. It was clear enough that Sam understood him, so he's come a long way just in the last month. I'm so curious about what's going to happen with this evaluation - I really wonder what they'll find, if anything. If there's nothing wrong.. then how do we tame this temper issue and how do we get him to talk?







No comments: