Saturday, March 1, 2008

Ahoy matey!


I can not not not believe I did this.

Today was the squadron kids party - a combination of Fashing, Easter, and spring parties that will be the last kids event held under the current commander, who leaves in June. Christine, the commander's wife, worked really hard to put it together. No big surprise, but getting any squadron members or spouses to help plan or work events is like pulling teeth. Just for this party, I think I got no fewer than 10 emails about it in the last two weeks - and Christine knew we were coming from the time she announced the date.

Anyway, the theme of this party was Escape from Treasure Island, which in its own way was a very clever way to include all the elements of a Fashing and Easter party without it actually BEING a Fashing or Easter party. Heaven forbid we offend someone by throwing a kids party that mentions....gasp.. Easter. I volunteered to design the treasure hunt, and the kids and I spent some decent time down by the gym trying to figure out a good but safe way to have a treasure hunt and I think I did pretty well.

This morning we get up and get all our errands done before noon. We come home and have lunch and since the party started at 3:30, S took a nap and T and I had some quiet time. I've been having some trouble keeping him in his bed, so I let him skip a nap thinking that he would get nice and tired by bedtime - especially running around with other kids for two hours. I was very proud of myself when we rolled into the parking lot at 3:33, kids in costumes, camera in hand.

I walked into the gym and Christine comes up to me, "Did you just get here?"
"Well, yes!" I replied, looking around and seeing a gym in massive disarray. "Wow- do you need help setting up?"
"Ummm, no. The party ended at 3:30."

OH.MY.GOODNESS. I guess it was a good thing I wasn't in charge of anything, huh?!?!?!!? From what I hear, the treasure hunt went well. This is what happens when I don't write things down.

No comments: