Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Oh, for the love of comfort(er)

Late Saturday night/early Sunday morning, T comes into my room and croaks, Moooooooom. Too tired to fight about who sleeps where, I just pull back the cover and say, come on. He crawls in bed with me, then fidgets and tosses and turns. After a few minutes he says, "hold you!" so I sit up and pick him up and realize that something is wrong. He is on fire. Before I can ask him if he's okay, here comes the vomit.

Confession time. In our life before kids, R and I bought things like really nice comforter sets. Ones that have to be dry cleaned. Of course. BK (before kids) it didn't matter, all we had to worry about was dog hair and drool on the bed spread. Well, times have changed! Where we are now the only dry cleaner I know about is the base dry cleaner. We took our comforter there to have it cleaned not long after we got our household goods in. And from what we can tell, they charged us $30 to fold it, hang it on a hanger and put some plastic over it. It didn't feel, look, or smell like it had been cleaned. So much for the 'don't worry we can just have it cleaned' theory.

So, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that my first thought was NO! Not the comforter! when T started to throw up. It took me forever to get the smell out of the couch when he threw up on it. So I tried to lean him over the side of the bed and at least aim for the rug or the floor. T, who had no idea what I was thinking or doing, I guess thought I was going to throw him off the bed because he suctioned on to me, which meant the vomit went all over me, the bedspread and the bed. Niiiiiiiiiice. I couldn't have just picked him up and headed for the bathroom, could I? Nooooooooooo. So now he's upset and crying and I"m trying to get he and I up off the bed without getting any more stuff on the bed or comforter. And, no, it didn't work well.

All this reminds me of my childhood and the countless times I'd tearfully tell my Mom, "You wouldn't care if I bled to death as long as I didn't get it on the carpet!!!!" I can now understand some of her thinking in that regard, and I'm just waiting to hear it come out of T's mouth.

T and I head into the bathroom and once he stops throwing up, he just collapses onto the bathroom floor and asks for his blankets. I go get them and his pillows and make him a little bed on the bathroom floor. He falls asleep, and I head back into the bedroom to clean up. For whatever reason, this stomach bug didn't come with the normal, strong 'sick' smell. So the baking soda and I went to work and it was cleaned up in no time. Still, I'm totally getting a new, cheap comforter. I realize the cheap one will last unscathed until I feel safe in getting another nice one, at which point, we'll all get food poisoning and the somehow manage to barf all over it. But that's life with kids, so whadda ya do?

Thinking that the worst was over, yesterday we were going about our business when S, who had just eaten lunch, stopped crawling/scooting, opened her mouth and started throwing up. It so much scarier in babies for some reason. I think it's the projectile factor. And she threw up and threw up and threw up. Then she had dry heaves for hours. Poor thing! I'm just waiting to come down with it today. Hopefully, I won't get it on the comforter, but just in case, I'm totally pulling out the spare blanket.

No comments: