Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The power of positive

A couple of months ago, I realized that my attitude was becoming a bit....negative.

I don't want to be 'that' girl...where all I do is complain and nothing is ever good enough and even my happy times are tinged with a sense of dissatisfaction because they aren't happy enough.

So I started thinking a la Dr. Phil...how do you change the internal dialogue? Because let me tell you, the internal dialogue was pretty snarky and not at all flattering.

For the last couple months, I have been trying really hard to find something positive to say or think about everyone I see. Yep. Everyone.

The little old lady that stalks the commissary looking for wayward children who are dismantling bread displays or other such horrible crimes against nature? She wears some really cute shoes. And she has dainty little feet.

The lady who just about ran me off the road today because she was talking on her phone and not watching where she was going? Cute haircut.

Our next door neighbor who has not warmed up to us in the least since we moved in? She keeps a very clean and organized garage and hasn't come over in months to complain about anything. And I assure you, there are plenty of times she has to hear the kids acting a fool.

The person in the back of the room in Zumba last night who had some noxious gas? At least they were in the back of the room and it wasn't curry they ate.

Over time it's been easier and easier for me to think the positive stuff first rather than the negative and then a quick, apologetic positive. I think it's working. I hope it's working. But I don't think it would be cheating if I hope never to be downwind again of whatever was going on in the intestinal system of whomever that was in Zumba last night.

No comments: