Saturday, March 22, 2008

What do you know? I am brave at heart

Life is short. There was no school on Friday, so I decided that would be the perfect day to attempt to color Easter eggs with the kids. Plus, now you have the option of not using vinegar. Why I am so vinegar averse, I have no idea. I love NC style barbeque, which has a vinegar based sauce, so it even mystifies me. I'm just weird that way. I'm also a southerner that doesn't like greens, grits, or mayo. And I prefer Coke to Pepsi but Diet Pepsi to Diet Coke. And I like unsweetened tea as much as I like sweetened tea. But I'm getting off subject.
Back to the eggs. I pre-boiled them on Thursday and Friday morning after we were all up and fed, I layered the table with newspaper (per instructions on the box) and attempted to explain what we were going to do. I lost T's attention as soon as he saw the markers. The markers, by the way, had a big tip and fine tip so each end had a cap. T had to have both caps off, so he got as much marker on him as on the eggs. Interestingly enough, the marker would wash right off the egg, but not so much off T. Huh. S, who was also very anxious to get her hands on the markers, was very frustrated since I could not find anywhere on the box where the markers were labeled non-toxic and our S is a very smart cookie that puts everything in her mouth. Or in her hair. The egg dying didn't impress her much, what with me not letting her near the markers or the dye. Which is also why she is still baby colored instead of looking like a Jackson Pollock canvas. I did however, give her an egg. She touched it, licked it, rolled it around, and then threw it onto the floor where it died a noble (and blessed) death. Humpty Dumpty was a good egg...

Anyway, we started out with seven eggs, three went in the dye, three were decorated with markers, and Humpty went to S, who abused him horribly but not on purpose. One year olds and boiled eggs are not the best idea in the world. I helped T out with the markers and realized with finality that my art skills never advanced past fourth grade. Oh well. We had a good time, nothing got permanently dyed a different color, but T's hands looked like a jacket I had in the 80's for a while. heh. Happy Easter everyone!


No comments: