Sunday, January 12, 2014

We spent months...

...planning our last move. There were checklists, schedules, lists of possible issues and solutions. (Yes, I'm THAT person). Research was done, I bugged the crap out of my friend Tina about what neighborhoods would be potentially good choices for us to live in. We did a drive-through when we headed to see family for Christmas last year. (By the way, driving through didn't give us a single, accurate impression.)

Being a military family, we have moved a fair amount of times. It does get easier in some ways the more you do it. In others, it stinks just as mightily as the first time. Do we have it down to a science? Um, no. Not even. Every time we PCS Robert and I start to question why exactly it is we thought the other one would be a good life partner choice.

Thank goodness the military moves us
or this is how we'd do it!
But after the carpal tunnel recedes from my wrists from all the scrubbing and the skin grows back; after I have militantly decided how the new kitchen should be arranged (and no it's not open for discussion); after the last box has been unpacked and broken down; after we've made seven trips to Goodwill or the Salvation Army to donate all the things we don't have space for or it turns out we can, indeed, live without; things settle down and we realize that all things considered, it's not so bad. And, eventually, Robert and I like each other again. He likes me after I get the kitchen unpacked and cook for him and allow him to have more of the closet than I get (without complaining (thankyouverymuch), and I like him after he helps me move things eighteen different places until I'm satisfied (and he doesn't complain about that).


So now, here we are in one of the most beautiful places on the planet, living in a great house. While nothing is exactly how I pictured it in my mind, for the most part, we are pretty happy here. Well, at least until we have to drive somewhere and end up trying to read the minds of other drivers (turn signals and working brake lights, people. That is all.).

So was it worth all the planning? Meh. Maybe. But I'd rather over plan than under plan. Kind of like over thinking versus under thinking.

No comments: