Tuesday, January 7, 2014

That is completely selfish

I am so often shocked and appalled these days when I see or hear about how little regard for each other people seem to have. I could pull a few prime examples from personal experience, but those are hardly subjective. But when I see people refusing to give emergency vehicles the right of way or see blatant disregard for basic human decency, I know it isn't just me over-reacting to a situation that I happen to be dealing with at the moment.

And I wonder, what in the world is wrong with people today? When did it become okay to become so completely self-involved? As humans - not even considering our culture, race, or nationalities - don't we have a basic obligation to be...decent? And on the flip side of that, shouldn't we speak up when that isn't happening? 

I think so, and that's what I'm attempting to do here. 
My friend Julie helped dig her neighbor out of the snow when someone else in their household was being taken to the hospital by ambulance. There were three grown men out shoveling their driveways at the time who couldn't be bothered to help. 

A fellow Zumba instructor got stuck in the snow today and person after person passed her by. 

And I'm willing to bet that if the situation were reversed, those people who couldn't be bothered to help would expect others to come to their aid and be indignant if that didn't happen. 

And that's the part I find the most discouraging. This whole attitude of 'do for me but screw you.'

I am beyond lucky that I know people that will gladly give others the shirt off their back. And to those of you - amazingly too many to name individually (plus I'd feel terrible if I forgot a name) - allow me to say thank you. Thank you for NOT being selfish. Thank you for thinking of others and lending a helping hand willingly. Thank you for making this world somewhere fit to live. Thank you for having loving hearts and following through with it in your actions. Just thank you. 



No comments: