Saturday, May 12, 2012

The one where Chris comes to visit

So the last thing you heard from me was about my funk and how I was determined to snap out of it.

Two weeks later I've survived some sort of stomach super bug that took Sara and me out for a solid week. Not to mention that Sara ended up in the ER with what turned out to be a wicked urinary tract infection.

::trip to ER while husband deployed...check::

She's fine now and back to her precocious self. I was actually relieved to witness the first temper tantrum so you know things were serious.

Last Saturday, Chris flew to St. Louis so we could meet face to face.

He walked around the corner and down the corridor towards me and I realized that I would have known him anywhere. How can someone you don't really know seem so familiar?

So here he comes, walking towards me, and I just freeze into place. He was tall and walks like my dad and brother. We have the same eyes.


I don't think that either of us said anything other than hi, but we just hugged.  I expected to burst into tears, but at that moment I just felt...complete. It's hard to find the words to describe it accurately.

It was an excellent visit. He slid right into our lives like he's been part of it all along. The kids worshiped him and he was so patient and giving with them.


Can your heart be so happy that it hurts?



Obviously.

And oh my gosh, he's a great guy. Intelligent, funny, well-mannered, helpful...his parents have done a wonderful job. I feel so fortunate to be able to get to know him. I can't wait to get to know the rest of his family as well.

I took him back to the airport on Wednesday. I watched him until he made it through security and then I headed back to the car, so sad to see him go but so happy that he came. Bittersweet.

So worth the wait. So worth all of it. So this is what it's like to be completely, utterly, totally happy.

I like it.



No comments: