Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A little bit o'this, a little bit o'that...

There's been a...situation...going on in the background of my life.

This...situation...has at times had me puzzled, hurt, confused, annoyed, regretful, apologetic, sarcastic, and extremely over-analytical.

I got accused a couple years ago of being a bully via Facebook. Did I think I was being a bully? No way. From my side of the white picket fence, I was just expressing frustration at a situation. From the other side of the white picket fence, the person felt bullied.

What to do?  I apologized for making her feel that way, because in my book, feelings are always, always valid. I decided then that I would be more careful what I said - or rather - status updated and blogged about.

For the most part, I am an open book on my blog as long as the situation pertains mostly to me. I have had some unkind things said about me by others and I don't like it. So, I really, really do try the 'do unto others' way of life.

Generally, it works. And then again, some people are just a-holes.

Also going on the last week has been my crack down on the obnoxiousness of my kids. As a parent, sometimes I expect them to ::gasp:: just do what I say. Where Tucker, Sara, and I run into trouble is in repeat mode. I mean, I don't expect them to jump up and salute when I speak. Sometimes I have to be reminded of things too.

However, the kids have NEVA EVA had to say, 'Mom, please make my lunch/clean my room/help me with my homework/kiss me goodnight...' repeatedly every. single. day.

I, on the other hand, DO find myself saying, "Don't jump on the furniture, please take your plates to the sink if you are finished eating, go upstairs and brush your teeth (no, brush your teeth, not rinse your mouth with water and a small bit of toothpaste. And yes, I can tell the difference. It's called FOOD. On your TEETH. And it's visible even to my horrid eyesight). I say all these things at least 10 times a day. Sometimes closer to 50. And yes, I did count.

But let my kids demand - not ask - for me to do something and then the world ends if it isn't done right away.

Hello Twitter? #Frustrated!

All of the above ended up in my having a meltdown. I am so done with being taken advantage of. Sara has burst into tears almost every day and told me - "You break my heart!" Really? Because you can't have six cookies immediately after throwing away 75% of your breakfast? If this breaks your heart, man are YOU in trouble later in life! This can only be outdone with Tucker's current mantra of "this is the worst day EVER!" and subsequent sobbing.  This is also happening almost daily.

I am unmoved.

In fact, my current advice to the entire world is this: freaking deal with it. You get out of it what you put in and NO ONE owes you anything. Period.

I'm tired of people thinking rules don't apply to them and that they can treat others however they like. I know life isn't fair, believe me, but I'm no longer going to make it easier to be unfair. And also - PUT DOWN YOUR PHONE AND DRIVE!

My kids will tell you this has been the worst week of their lives. I would say that this has been the most real life week of their lives. Welcome to the dawn of a new era. At least in my house.


No comments: