Thursday, April 25, 2013

Beauty is a beast

Through an enormous gift of genetics, I have been blessed with an abundance of body hair. TMI, I know. No, seriously, I know.

 It's also ironic that at this stage in hormones/life that the hair on my head is thinning rapidly yet now I'm seeing random black hairs pop up where previously there were none and should never be any. They don't appear to be getting any thinner or finer. In fact, I'd say they are multiplying. It's distressing. My tweezers are about to go sue me for mandatory vacation time.

Lucky for me, there are an endless supply of beauty/grooming/maintenance products and options. Shaving is my method of choice and I'll leave it at that.

With that in mind, on Tuesday (when I actually started this post) I woke up thinking, "Crap! I'm volunteering with Sara's class today. I need to shave. Because my volunteer activity for the day was going to be getting in the pool with 22 kindergartners while they learned about water/pool/swimming safety.

Woo. Hoo.

I'm sure that most of the kindergartners wouldn't even notice whether or not I shaved. But I bet the other moms will. And, if I'm being totally honest, I mind. We moved to a more, umm, organically oriented area so I'm sure there are tons of women around here that don't shave their legs or armpits or pluck their eyebrows. I'm not one of those women.

So I'm in the shower and I'm shaving. The shower in our bathroom is HUGE. It's a standalone shower, so there's no tub edge to elevate my leg. Technically, this should make shaving easier, but for some reason it doesn't. I guess because with a straight leg the shower washes off the soap faster than I can shave it off. But whatever. The shower also has a light in it, which any gal can tell you makes shaving easier because it's a LOT easier to shave off hair you can see versus hair you cannot see. Light comes in handy for that, as it turns out.

I get out of the shower all happy and clean and freshly shaved. However, I do not shower with my glasses on because...duh. Who does that? Well, I might have to start because I missed HUGE sections of leg hair. I mean, it was bad enough that I then had to sit on the edge of the tub and reshave my legs with my glasses on.  Frankly, it was a bit disconcerting. Any annoying. Am I really at that stage? Where I can't even see well enough without glasses to shave my legs? Oy vey! I think it's time to consider lasik. Otherwise, it's going to be a long, hairy summer.

No comments: