Monday, September 14, 2009

Happy Fall, Y'all

It feels funny to write y'all since I rarely ever say it, but it rhymes and I like it so I'm doing it anyway. :)

Life is...going...over here. T is back in pre school and also in a part day enrichment program three mornings a week. He's loving it so far and is really learning lots of language skills by being in a normal classroom (enrichment) and continuing with speech therapy (pre school). I'm just amazed at the progress he's made in the last year. I'm grateful for the help from all his teachers and for their patience and understanding in helping both T and me with dealing with his sensory issues. Mrs. A and I are trying again to get him evaluated for Sensory Processing Disorder, so please keep us in your thoughts as we fight the system.

S is also going to enrichment this fall and she just loves it. I'm grateful that so far school has been such a positive experience for both the kids. I've never forgotten how one teacher can literally make or break you this early. I got lucky with teachers, my brother didn't.

R's 'replacement' arrived on base last week. He seems like a great guy from the time we've spent with him so far. We took him to look at a few houses this weekend, and it was interesting to hear him talk about his first impressions of the base - which kind of mirrored ours when we first got here. It's not all in my head that a lot of the people here are just doggone unfriendly. It's also reassuring in a bizarre way to know that it's not just me. I have my fingers crossed that our next base will be more welcoming. Either way, I feel our time in Germany has cemented us as a self reliant family of four, which is strange for a gal that's always been surrounded by extended family. I won't like, it's been quite the adjustment for me in many ways, and I truly doubted my abilities as a competent parent for a long time. I hope that we're over the worst of that and hopefully now I can just focus on all the positives in my life. I mean, heck, the kids have survived my parenting so far without any major damage (I think), so that's something.

Here's to our future, whatever it may hold.

No comments: