Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Aerobics in Perkyland

I've been going to aerobics whenever possible since I put the kids in the summer enrichment program. Monday and Wednesday the class is called "butts and guts" and the Tuesday and Thursday classes are cardio and sculpting classes. The usual instructor, Keyra, is this totally kick butt dynamo. For the first three weeks I went to class, I was brutally sore every. single. day. Squats, lunges, what seems like 200 different ways to do sit ups...she's the nicest person but she wrings the sweat out of you and the pain into you.

Now that the kids are only in the MWF enrichment program, I only get to go to the butts and guts class, which obviously concentrates on legs, abs, and tushies (squats, lunges, and crunches, oh my!). Last week, Sesame Street Live was here for two shows on Wednesday so there was no class. On Monday, Keyra made us pay. In sweat. R was off on Monday, so I convinced him to go with me. Even he, Army trained PT guy, thought it was a challenging class.

I'd gotten to the point that my muscles were fairly used to the punishment, so I am generally not sore the next day. But it's now Wednesday night and my hamstrings are still screaming from Monday's class. Damn squats. GAH!

Occasionally, Keyra can't make class and someone else teaches it, as was the case today. I debated on whether or not to go this morning because the lady teaching this morning is just too perky for me. Literally, it's like she bounced out of the 80's right into our little gym. Wooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mind tough instructors since I'm there to work out and get all sweaty, but something about Ms. Perkiness just irks me. I think it's because she talks nonstop while the rest of us are gasping for air and struggling to keep up. And, every single cardio section involves bouncing of some sort. You can't just do a lunge or 50, she wants you to add a hop or jump in there somewhere. Plus, she's a bit of a spaz, so you are up and down during the entire hour. I think I'm too OCD to enjoy that. Let's work legs and then let's work abs, but please for the love of all things holy stop making me bounce back and forth between the two -- especially when it actually involves bouncing.

So about 40 minutes into the class I resort to silently cursing her in various creative ways, which I will keep to myself (if you can't say anything nice....), and trying to think of ways to shut her up. Because, as a matter of fact Perky McBouncy, NO, this does NOT feel 'niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice' since I am not a rubber band or a bouncing ball and trying to convert my sizable ass into one isn't the least bit pleasant. So please just shutthehellup and stop being so dang happy!

No comments: