Tuesday, June 2, 2009

NO!

I think no is going to be our family's motto. It seems like we are constantly saying it to the kids and the kids are constantly saying it to us. Without a doubt, it's S's favorite word, even when she means yes or maybe. It may even be what is put on her headstone: "She always said NO!"

The best part of the constant no is the reaction you get when you abide by it, even though said child means yes. Case in point: Last night and the dinner/bedtime routine.

Me: T, what do you want for dinner tonight?
T: I don't want nothing. Just...nothing.
Me: S, what do you want?
S: NO!
Me: mmmmmkay. Leftovers it is!
S: NO!
T: I don't like leftovers.
Me: Okay, no leftovers (I'm totally lying)

I go into the kitchen and start to heat up what I think they'll eat, think about it a second, and decide to get the pots and pans out to help fool them. Within five minutes:

T: Mom, what are you doing?
Me: Making dinner
S: NO!
T: Making dinner?
Me: Yep! Smells yummy, doesn't it?
T: Yes! I'm hungry, Mommy, I'm hungry (he picked up this line from 101 Dalmations)
S: No!! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

10 minutes later as I'm serving dinner
Me: T what do you want to drink - juice or milk?
T: Milk
Me: S, what do you want to drink - juice or milk?
S: NO!
Me: Do you want juice?
S: NO!
Me: Do you want milk?
S: NO!
Me: okay, milk it is then since you've had juice today.
S: NOOOOOOOOOO!

Fill cup with milk and put it on the table

S: No! No milk! NO!!!! I want juice!

Because I know this is coming, I switch out the milk with the cup of juice I already poured.

Me: Okay, here you go. Juice instead.
S: NO! NONONONONONONOOOOOO NOOOOO JUICE.
Me: Your only other choices are air and water.
S: NO! I want juice.
Me: You have juice right there.
S: No mommy! NO!
Me: (sighing heavily) S, do you even know what you want?
S: No
Me: Are you tired?
S: No
Me: Are you grouchy?
S: No
Me: Are you hungry?
S: No
Me: Are you just determined to be difficult?
S: NO! Leave me alone.
Me: Okay.
S: Mommy! Mommy!!! Mommymommymommymommymommy.
Me: Okay R - tag team - you're it.
R: No problem
S: NO NO NO!!!! Mommymommymommymommymommymommymommymommy
Me: I'm turning in my two week notice.
R: I will not accept it.

I love my kids. Really I do.

No comments: