Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Fever pitch

Sunday, R, the kids and I met our friend Kellie and her two kids and went to a larger base to the southeast of us because they have a new indoor pool on base. I never really liked indoor pools before moving here because in NC, there's no need for them. It's warm enough outside to swim usually starting in early May. The water may be too cool until sometime in June, but it's always been hot enough outside to make up for it.

Last weekend here? The high was around 57. I'm not necessarily complaining, because I'd rather be too cool than too warm by a landslide, but 57 in June is a wee bit unusual for me. So, naturally, I'm grateful to have the indoor pool option.

We were supposed to meet at the gas station on base, but as luck would have it, that particular section of the base was completely closed off. While we didn't need gas, Kellie did, but we decided to try and make it to the other base anyway. We ended up having to stop but it worked out well because T and R needed a potty break.

I was impressed with the pool when we walked in. Everything was so clean, it was only $3 for the day, and they had life jackets in sizes for every kids. They also had lifeguards. LIFEGUARDS!!! Hooray! It's nice to have someone official looking back up the no running/no roughhousing/no dangerous behavior that it seems like we are always preaching.

We stayed for a couple of hours and then went to the commissary there. Holy cow! The fruit and veggies section was HUGE and the produce looked so much better than what we seem to be able to get here. I hope R was serious when he agreed we could make a monthly trip to do a pool day and then a commissary run.

The kids were tired, so we headed home after that, only to have T end up with a fever that night. Of course, then S got it, then R did and then T got it again over the next 10 days. I don't know if it was something that he picked up before we went to the pool or while we were there, but it was no fun. It also makes me wonder why our base doesn't have a pool. Even South Dakota had one, and the word is that people who were stationed here years ago say that there used to be one, but no one knows where exactly, which makes me wonder if there really was one. With any luck, the weather will get warmer here and we can walk down the street to the pool in our town. I wouldn't bet my winter coat on it, though.

No comments: