Monday, January 7, 2013

The one where I make no resolution

It's been 2013 for a week. This time last week, we were fast asleep in Newport News, Virginia after having driven there from North Carolina after finding out that my aunt's husband died from lung cancer.  Because we were driving back to Illinois on New Year's Day, we were all in bed early on New Year's Eve as well.

Long ago, someone told me that what you were doing on New Year's Eve at midnight was an indication  of what you'd be doing throughout the year. The more New Years I welcome, I tend to think what you are doing at midnight reflects more of what you did in the past year than what you will be doing in the upcoming year. Lord knows, I slept a LOT in 2012. Between sickness, iron deficiency issues, and my love of napping, I should probably be one of the most well-rested people on the planet.

This year I made no resolutions on New Year's Eve. I figured that I've done this so much in the past that maybe I should just take 2013 and enjoy it. There are going to be lots of changes and I'm not going to be in control of much of anything. So I have decided to just enjoy the journey, whatever happens and wherever it takes me.

Not to say that I don't plan to make some changes, because I do. It's just that I don't feel like the changes I want to make have anything to do with the date and everything to do with how I see and treat myself and those around me.

Cheesy? Maybe. But I don't really care.

No comments: