Wednesday, August 6, 2008

All clear...for removal?!?


T had his post surgery checkup yesterday. T and doctors are a testy combination under the best of circumstances, so I have to admit I was not looking forward to the appointment. Plus, S was with us and the two of them, I swear, feed off each other in either a really positve or really negative way. If one cries, they both cry. If one screams, they both scream. And I swear, they coordinate their poops too. But if one hugs, they both hug, which almost makes up for the crying, screaming and pooping. Allllmost. They speak a language I don't catch or understand, and S will listen to T when she's mostly ignoring me. Sometimes thats good, sometimes not so much. Yesterday was a pretty equal split. I brought toys with me for the kids, and T listened really well while we were waiting. The only trouble I had was when S wanted to take advantage of the hallway echo. T would immediately follow suit. Some of the nuns were chuckling as I tried to calmly calm them down, so I'm guessing other kids do that too - it's just that I would rather it not be MY kids that lead the pack, you know?

When we walked into the exam room, T's eyes got really wide and I could tell he was scared. So we began looking at all the instruments and talking about what was going to happen. His currency, as Dr. Phil would say, for doctors appointments is getting out of there. So I explain that as soon as the Dr. comes in, looks in his ears and at his throat that we will get to leave. T nods solemnly. I cross my fingers and hope it works.


The doctor comes in. It's the same guy that visited T after his surgery. T collapses on the floor and whimpers, "Noooooo" when the doctor asks him to get up in the chair. But for the third time in a row, there's no screaming or having to force him into the chair. I sit down, S's stroller rolled up beside the chair, and T climbs willingly into my lap. He even turns his head when asked so the doctor can look in both ears. And then he opens his mouth so the doctor can look at his throat. I am stunned and proud. And relieved.

Since everything looks good, the doctor tells me to make an appointment in six to eight weeks. UGH! Really? We aren't done for six months? Seriously?!?

But it turns out that since T's adenoids were removed, they don't think the tubes will need to be in for the full six months, so if his ears are clear at the next appointment, we'll talk about when to remove the tubes. I'm happy to hear that in a way, and yet - really - did he actually need the tubes in after all? I guess I'll never really know. The important thing is that he's doing well - sleeping better and not so grumpy. As soon as we move, I can work on getting both of them really tired every day so we can all take an afternoon nap (or I can read) again.

To reward his amazing behavior, we went to the BX and he got to buy a Thomas the Train magazine and we rented a movie. I hope he's this easy for the next ten years or so.....it's no use, I can't even type that without laughing. Let's just hope he's as manageable. That seems more...appropriate.

1 comment:

Carolina Bleu said...

Now that I've started, I'm addicted. I'm SO glad I got your blog address from Marci! This is the first time I've seen pictures of your babies. God, they are beautiful--not that I'm a bit surprised! How could they be anything else with such a beautiful MOM!

SMOOCHES from Amy!