Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Today is Tuesday, at least last time I checked...

First, I would like to say to everyone that reads my rambling - THANK YOU! Thank you for reading, thank you for being patient with me when my blogging is um... scarce... and thank you for all the wonderful, supportive comments.

Last week, we had a tremendous storm here that downed trees, blew most of the petals off my window boxed flowers, and managed to rain into our house. I absolutely love German windows. They are one solid piece of glass and are not divided into sections to look like window panes. (LOOOOVE it!) They also open two ways, you can open them fully by swinging them in instead of raising them up or you can tilt the top back. In addition, we have rolladens, which are like a window shade on the outside of the window that you can raise or lower from a pulley on the inside. The rolladens are either a plastic, like siding, or a light metal. We mostly leave our windows tilted in rather than opened all the way so we were really surprised that rain managed to get in at all, much less the amount of water that was on the floor. In addition, the lower half of the rolladens in T's room were blown out of the track. Dang.

When we were discussing calling maintenence on Monday to put in an order to have the rolladens fixed, we decided to just give them our list of most pressing things - the lights over the bathroom sink were burned out in our bathroom and when I tried to get to the bulb to see what kind we needed, the cover on one of the lights broke. Oops. In addition, our dryer takes at least two cycles to try a normal load of clothes, so we decided to have that looked at as well. R spent a long time trying to make an appointment on Monday. Turns out we'd have three different teams coming out between 8-10.

As I figured, all three teams showed up within 5 mintues of each other. The lights and the rolladends were fixed quickly. The dryer took a little longer. They pulled out a small trash can full of lint from the bottom of the dryer. At some point, we had inadvertently pushed the dryer back too far and kinked the exhaust hose. Whoops. Once the dryer was vented properly and all nice and clean, I put in a load of clothes to dry - all excited that it wouldn't take hours to dry one load of clothes. When the cycle ended, I went in to pull the clothes out of the dryer....and....they were still wet. Not sorta, kinda damp, but wet. Soggy. Sodden. Well maybe I forgot to start the dryer...nope. The dial pointed to OFF. Maybe I just forgot to turn on the dryer. I restarted it and checked after an hour. The clothes were still not dry, but they were less damp than before. After about 3 dryer cycles, the clothes were finally dry. This is worse!

I keep debating on whether or not to call maintenance again, but I know from experience that it will take another three or four calls before they will just replace the dryer. We are thinking about moving off base anyway, so I doubt I'll bother. Al Gore would be ashamed of me.

Guess I should go ahead and paint a big black carbon footprint on my forehead.

No comments: