Wednesday, May 7, 2008

How to report a passport stolen from a military base

Umm, okay, this process was LONG and mostly by trial and error. Please learn from my mistakes.

So, your passport has been stolen?

MAKE A REPORT with the local police or the MP's/Security Forces. DO THIS IMMEDIATELY.

Phone your nearest Embassy or passport office to confirm the following procedures and if there's anything else you need to do.

Your passport will not be marked as lost/stolen until you reapply for a new passport. Here's what you will need:

New passport photos
Passport fee (minimum $100, more if you want it expedited)
Form DS-64
Form DS-11
Documents to prove your identity (pretty much everything you can find from your birth certificate forward)
A copy of the police/MP/Security Forces report

Here's the official link for more information: http://travel.state.gov/passport/lost/lost_849.html

You may also want to put a fraud alert on your credit report throught the credit bureaus.

It took me over two weeks and I don't even know how many phone calls and emails before I got everything I needed to reapply for my passport. Good luck to anyone who has to deal with this process. Email me and I'll do what I can to help.

No comments: